For this article, I have carefully reviewed and ranked 22 of the top blockchain courses currently on the market. My ranking is based on a number of factors, including the quality of the course content, the expertise of the instructors, and the overall value for money. I have also taken into account the feedback and reviews from previous students. Plus, I have taken (and taught) some of these courses myself.
In this article, I will provide an overview of each of the courses, as well as their key features and benefits. Whether you are a beginner looking to get your feet wet in the world of blockchain, or an experienced professional looking to expand your knowledge, you have come to the right place
The field of blockchain technology is rapidly evolving, with more and more businesses and industries starting to adopt it. As a result, there is an increasing demand for individuals with expertise in this area.
If you are new to crypto then check out my guide on how to get started in crypto. It’s why I built this site. One more tip related to this: you might also find it useful to check out some of the top crypto subreddits.
OK let’s drill down into the courses.
Best Blockchain Courses
Most blockchain courses are centered around cryptography, understanding the core components of a blockchain, the best tools to build blockchain applications, how to deploy smart contracts, cybersecurity, and how to initiate real-world projects on the blockchain.
In this article, I have categorized the courses into 3 groups depending on how advanced your knowledge is: beginner, intermediate and advanced levels.
- Blockchain Revolution by INSEAD on Coursera
- Free MOOC: Digital Currency by the University of Nicosia
- Blockchain and Bitcoin Fundamentals
- Certified Enterprise Blockchain Professional by 101 Blockchains
- Professional Certificate in Blockchain for Business – edX
- Professional Certificate in Blockchain Fundamentals – Berkeley, edX
- Learn The Basics of Blockchain with Python – Codecademy
- Blockchain Technologies: Business Innovation and Application – MIT Sloan
- Mini-Course: “Blockchains and the Future of Finance” by NYU
- Blockchain Technology and Its Applications
- Decentralized Finance (DeFi): The Future of Finance Specialization
- Blockchain A-Z – Build Your First Blockchain – Udemy
- Blockchain Fundamentals – Pluralsight
- Blockchain Certification Training Course by Edureka
- Blockchain Specialization Course by the University of Buffalo on Coursera
- Advance Your Skills In The Blockchain by LinkedIn Learning
- Developing Applications on Ethereum – Pluralsight
- Ethereum Blockchain Developer Bootcamp – Udemy
- Become a Blockchain Developer – Udacity Nanodegree
- Certified Blockchain Architect – Blockchain Council
- Certified Enterprise Blockchain Security Expert by 101 Blockchains
- Certified Blockchain Developer by the Blockchain Council
Let’s take a closer look.
Beginner-level blockchain courses
1. Blockchain Revolution by INSEAD on Coursera
This is an excellent introduction to what blockchains are if you are a complete beginner.
This course is offered by INSEAD on Coursera and taught by Don Tapscott and Alex Tapscott. The specialization covers the basic concepts and the potential impact of blockchain technology on various industries, including finance, healthcare, and government. It also explores the challenges and opportunities associated with blockchain and digital assets and provides insights into how businesses can leverage this technology. The course material consists of videos and quizzes as well as some useful supplementary reading.
INSEAD is ranked in the top 5 of business schools worldwide and, yeah, this course focuses on the business potential of blockchains. Also, you should know that Don and Alex are father and son and have written a best-seller book titled “Blockchain Revolution”.
I have taken this specialization myself. I found the first set of lectures super useful in understanding the new technology of blockchains. I’ll be honest and say that I did not complete the last section because I got bored. I also sped up the speakers in the video settings as they talk very slowly.
2. Free MOOC: Digital Currency by the University of Nicosia
This is a free course and is taught by the University of Nicosia (UNIC). MOOC stands for a massive open online course.
UNIC is one of the first Universities to offer crypto-related Master’s degrees. While you can watch the videos on YouTube at any time if you want to take the quizzes, participate in forums, and earn a certificate you need to keep an eye out for when they plan to start the next round. Currently, it is set for February 2023.
The format of the course is that you study the slides beforehand. Subsequently, once a week, the professors walk you through the slides and answer questions. Typically this will be 60 mins presentation + 40 mins of questions.
The course is co-taught by Andreas Antonopoulos. Andreas is a prominent figure in crypto and one of the first people to eloquently evangelize the potential of crypto. His 3-part book series titled “The Internet of Money” is excellent. I highly recommend you read it if you have not.
UNIC also offers a free MOOC on Decentralized Finance where I also teach as a guest lecturer. The DeFI course will give you a sense of the various financial products that have been built on top of blockchains to date.
3. Blockchain and Bitcoin Fundamentals by Udemy
Easy-going blockchain training course to learn the basics without having a tech background.
This course, offered by Udemy and taught by George Levy, is a great option for those who want to learn more about the relationship between blockchain and Bitcoin. It covers the basics of blockchain technology, including its history, key characteristics, and potential applications. The course also includes an overview of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, as well as insights into the challenges and opportunities associated with these technologies.
Once you pay for the course you have unlimited access to it.
There are a bunch of other Udemy courses on blockchain as well if you care to browse their site. But this one has pretty solid ratings.
4. Certified Enterprise Blockchain Professional by 101 Blockchains
For those looking for a professional certification course and are more interested in learning how to build a private blockchain network.
This blockchain training program helps you become an enterprise-level blockchain professional in blockchain technology.
It is a 4-week program and at the end of the training, you become a certified blockchain professional.
This course is essential for people who wish to understand the main concepts of blockchain technology and want to prove they are blockchain experts.
In the 4 weeks of the program, you will learn the following
- Blockchain technology basics and the use cases
- Fundamental Concepts of enterprise blockchain platforms
- Applications of Blockchain in Trade Finance
- Use cases of blockchain in supply chain management and digital transformation
Upon completion of the course, you are going to be issued a certificate. The certificate is recognized by numerous tech companies such as Cognizant, Cisco, IBM, etc.
5. Professional Certificate in Blockchain for Business by Linux on edX
Straight from the Linux Foundation. These guys are industry experts so they know what they are talking about.
This is a 6-month program that will grant you access to how blockchain can change the perspectives of business, including how to add distributed ledger technology to a business when required and how blockchain technology impacts on a global scale.
This course is good for you if you want to start a career in business or finance with a strong link to technology. The course has a particular focus on Hyperledger which is a multi-project open source collaborative effort hosted by The Linux Foundation.
6. Professional Certificate in Blockchain Fundamentals by Berkeley on edX
This three-month course is offered by Berkley (University of California) in the United States. The course delivers a complete package of both technical and non-technical aspects of blockchain technology.
In these 3 months, you will understand blockchain applications in real life and how to build on the Ethereum Network, and at the end of the course, you will be issued a certificate.
You don’t need to have a specific background to take this course
7. Learn The Basics of Blockchain with Python on Codecademy
Learn by doing this 101 course on blockchains that uses Python.
This course gives a basic understanding of blockchain technology and how it encompasses different applications including insurance, supply chain, and data management, etc.
Also, you will learn to create and tamper with your private blockchain via interactive simulations.
The course is suitable for you if you have a technical background or wish to have one.
8. Blockchain Technologies: Business Innovation and Application by MIT Sloan
If you want MIT’s stamp of approval this one is for you.
This is a 6 weeks program where they take you through six different modules:
- The first module will help you acquaint yourself with the fundamentals of blockchain technology.
- The second module is discussions centered around Bitcoin and the problems of double-spending.
- The third module deals with costless verifications, followed by the concept of bootstrapping network effects through blockchain.
- In the fourth module, you will learn how to use tokens to design new types of digital platforms
- Lastly, you will finish with discussions on the future of blockchain, AI, and digital privacy.
This is one of the best blockchain courses, with endorsement from numerous blockchain experts.
9. Mini-Course: “Blockchains and the Future of Finance” by NYU
This course taught by David Yermack of the NYU Stern School of Business, is designed for those who want to learn more about the potential uses and implications of blockchain technology.
The course covers key concepts, including distributed ledgers, consensus mechanisms, and smart contracts. The course also includes an overview of various applications of blockchain, including finance, healthcare, and governance. The videos from the course are freely available to watch.
10. Blockchain Technology and Its Applications by Stanford
Blockchains basics from Stanford itself.
This course, taught by Ahmed Banafa of San Jose State University, is a great option for those who are new to blockchain technology. It covers the basics of blockchain, including its history, key characteristics, and potential applications. The course is aimed at non-technical learners, and no prior knowledge of the subject is required.
11. Decentralized Finance (DeFi): The Future of Finance Specialization by Duke on Coursera
If you want to understand what people are building on top of blockchains.
This one is not on blockchains per se. However, I found it extremely useful in understanding what kind of protocols developers have built on top of blockchains today. I took this course and personally thought it was excellent.
This section comprises an intermediate-level knowledge of blockchain technology. Individuals who want to engage with these courses may need to be a little more tech-savvy. Hence, you may need to know a programming language or two.
12. Blockchain A-Z – Build Your First Blockchain on Udemy
You go from zero to hero but it requires a little Python knowledge
If you want to understand what Blockchain is and how cryptocurrency works then this course is for you.
The course is developed by Kirill Eremenko and his team. Kirill Eremenko is the founder and CEO of SuperDataScience, which provides online coursework and educational resources for people in data science. He has a series of experiences in finance, retail, transport, and other industries. And this course is one of his numerous professional courses.
It is further divided into 3 modules:
- Module 1: How to Build a Blockchain
- Module 2: How to Build a Cryptocurrency and
- Module 3: How to create a Smart Contract.
This course helps you develop real-world applications and how to apply them to any Blockchain-related task. The course does require some basic coding knowledge in Python however
13. Blockchain Fundamentals by Pluralsight
One for those who have an IT background
This is one of the best blockchain courses online for you especially if you are a starter. It teaches you how to get productive with blockchain development with a focus on Ethereum. However, it does require you to have a basic understanding of common programming languages.
Below are the major things you will learn in this course:
- Understanding Blockchain
- Exploring the Ethereum blockchain
- Building and testing Smart contracts
- Distributed applications Development
- Create a full end-to-end application
14. Blockchain Certification Training Course by Edureka
Learn by diving straight into the deep with this fully immersive training.
In this course, you learn everything, from mining your bitcoins to trading the same bitcoins by creating a private bitcoin wallet.
Again, you will learn to develop your private blockchain on a multi-chain platform and deploy smart contracts on Ethereum.
However, it is required that you have basic knowledge of object-oriented programming languages. Basic knowledge of Linux would also help.
15. Blockchain Specialization Course by the University of Buffalo on Coursera
A collection of 4 courses focused on blockchain.
This will take you approximately 4 months to complete. And in it, you will
- Understand smart contracts, a core idea and computational model of blockchain that enables automation, autonomy, scalability, and transparency.
- Learn how to design and program smart contracts and decentralized applications.
- Have an understanding and working knowledge of emerging blockchain technology.
- Learn how to think of innovative application protocols, leveraging blockchain technology.
Also, you get a certificate when you complete this course.
16. Advance Your Skills In The Blockchain by LinkedIn Learning
A collection of blockchain training courses on LinkedIn.
LinkedIn Learning is an amazing platform with lots of professional courses that could scale you through both online and offline working skills. With this collection of courses, you become fully certified.
Advanced blockchain courses
These are the most popular courses for more advanced students. Some of them are from beginner to advanced while the others are typically advanced with programming knowledge required.
17. Developing Applications on Ethereum by Pluralsight
Get your hands dirty by coding on the Ethereum platform with this online program.
This is one of the best blockchain courses for you if you want hands-on experience in creating apps for the Ethereum platform.
Though the course claims to be for beginners, you should have some background in programming and web development. While the course starts with the basic blockchain concepts and Ethereum, the actual goal is learning to write smart contracts using Solidity.
18. Ethereum Blockchain Developer Bootcamp on Udemy
Become a blockchain developer.
This course offers you a step-by-step guide to building projects. It also creates fresh opportunities for a career as a blockchain developer, which means that if you are looking forward to becoming a blockchain developer, then this is the right course for you.
However, it requires some prior programming and web development expertise as it explains Solidity, creating smart contracts, and web3 fully. This is one of the best blockchain courses online for intermediates who have a tight budget.
19. Become a Blockchain Developer Nanodegree by Udacity
This online blockchain course will teach you how to code on the Bitcoin and Ethereum protocols.
Demand for blockchain developers is extremely high. In this course, you will learn how to work with the Bitcoin and Ethereum protocols. The course contents have 8 major topics you need to complete.
In this course, you will learn 4 sub-courses which center on:
- How blockchain technology offers data privacy (secrecy) by implementing anonymous Identity management with your blockchain just wallet address (what is a crypto address).
- Understand the data protocol behind a blockchain by developing your simplified private blockchain.
- How to incorporate web services to provide real-world functionality to your blockchain applications.
- How your blockchain skills can be set to the second generation of blockchain services with smart contracts using the Ethereum Blockchain.
Additionally, they also have experienced careers professionals that will help you craft your LinkedIn and GitHub profiles to make them attractive to prospective employers.
20. Certified Blockchain Architect by the Blockchain Council
Design blockchain solutions.
The major roles of blockchain architects boil across designing blockchain solutions and security requirements. This course comprises a total of six lessons, which will take you from the basics of blockchain to innovative blockchain solutions.
Upon completion of the course, you will write an examination that will ascertain if you can make sane decisions that require implemented systems to adhere to non-functional requirements.
This course will take you approximately 12 hours.
21. Certified Enterprise Blockchain Security Expert by 101 Blockchains
Get a professional accreditation around blockchain security
Here, you will learn how to design and develop secure blockchain systems and distributed applications. The course centers around the blockchain security system.
The course will teach you the basic security concerns in Blockchain to the more advanced concepts of blockchain node and network security, smart contract security, and enterprise blockchain security. You will also learn about threat modeling for the blockchain, fundamental blockchain cryptography, etc. This course has the recommendation of so many Blockchain consultants.
22. Certified Blockchain Developer by the Blockchain Council
One of the best blockchain certifications if you are a software engineer and want to stand out in the job market.
The course does not state any prerequisites but should give you a solid foundation.
40 Best Crypto YouTuber Channels to Follow in 2023
Here’s your ultimate guide to the 40 Best Crypto YouTuber Channels in 2023! Navigating the crypto jungle can be daunting. But worry not, my friend. I’ve got you covered. For this review, I’ve scoured the depths of YouTube to bring you the finest crypto experts. Short, snappy, and packed with info, these channels will keep you in the loop. Read more.
Summing up the top blockchain courses
If you are new to blockchain technology, then taking a course is a good way to start. These courses provide a comprehensive understanding of blockchain technology, from the basics to more advanced concepts. They are also taught by experts in the field, ensuring that you receive high-quality instruction and valuable insights.
You can take most of these courses here at your own pace. Also with most of these courses, you get a certificate of completion, which you can add to your resume and will help you stand out in the job market.
In conclusion, there are many excellent courses available on blockchain technology. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced professional, there is a course that is right for you. By taking one of these courses, you can gain a comprehensive understanding of blockchain technology, learn from experts in the field, and build essential skills to advance your career in this exciting and rapidly-growing industry.
Leave a Reply